IRS Customer Service Phone Number

The most common way to call IRS is via its helpline for individuals available. You can do it via 1-800-829-1040 phone number.

IRS is a very busy government organization. Calls to it could sometimes take several hours. And if you didn’t prepare some important information you may have to call again after all the wait.

So before proceeding with the call make sure that you have all the information required for your question with you. Besides that, you will need your SSN (social security number) ready for a personal return and EIN for a business return. Our advice is to have your tax return ready in front of you for the year you’re inquiring about. Your last tax return will help too since they may ask some verification questions based on it. For example, there could be quite a lot of verification questions if you’re calling IRS about a change of address.

Now when you have all the documents ready, make sure to allocate enough time for a call. I never had it done faster than an hour and sometimes it took several hours. If you are calling via mobile phone make sure it has enough charge. It would be quite disappointing if it will die right when you are about to get your issue resolved. Having a charger handy won’t hurt too.

Check that you will be calling right number. Depending on your question number could be different. Also if you are calling about specific IRS form make sure to look for a number on the form that you received. Typically IRS will have it there. Calling a wrong number may waste a lot of time since you won’t figure it out until speaking to a live person, and IRS agent may not be able to switch you to a right department.

Below are some phone numbers depending on the department and form you’re calling about:

IRS Tax Help Line for Individuals 1-800-829-1040
Business and Specialty Tax Line 1-800-829-4933
Refund Hotline 1-800-829-1954
Forms and Publications 1-800-829-3676
Underreporter Cases for Small Business/Self Employed (SBSE) Taxpayer (CP2000 form will have this number) 1-800-829-8310
Underreporter Cases for Wage & Investment (W&I) Taxpayer 1-800-829-3009

Since IRS phone system is changing very frequently we won’t provide you with any shortcuts since most probably they will be wrong. But we have a good advice to shorten your time with all the choices. Take a pen and paper and write down selections that you make during the call. There are typically many of them and knowing right selection will help you to get through without listening to the entire prompt.

IRS Fax Number

  • For international tax account issues you need to dial 1-681-247-3101.
  • For International Taxpayer Advocate you need to dial 1-855-818-5697.

Now you should be ready to make a call to IRS. Good Luck!

Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 Headquarters

View Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 headquarters location on a map.

Reach Real Person in Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 by Phone, Live Chat, Social Network

Make sure that you tried multiple options when reaching customer service. If live customer service agent is not available by phone, try live chat as a shortcut. Frequently direct message via Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 Facebook account or Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 Twitter account may get you a customer representative quicker and sometimes even 24/7, so try it too. If you want to file a complaint or submit a positive feedback you may leave your comment or complaint under Instagram or Youtube post and in many cases the business will respond to it. For your convenience all of these customer service contact options for Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 are provided above.

What to do if Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 Contact Number Is Not Working?

It is typical that customer service menu options change with time. Customer support options and even contact numbers might be removed and added. If you have problems with getting a real person in Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 customer service with instructions above please leave the comment in the comments section below and we will improve this guide. We are constantly monitoring the customer service contact numbers, e-mail and chats to make sure the instructions on IRS Customer Service Phone Number are the most accurate.

If you successfully reached a live customer service agent in Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 please leave your instructions in the comments section below so everyone can use it.

Irs Customer Service Phone Number 800 829 1040 Customer Ratings and Reviews